The Federal Polytechnic (Amendment) Decree of January 1, 1993 provides as follows:
1. The Minister for Environment shall be the Visitor to the College;
2. The Visitor shall, not less than once in every five years, conduct a visitation of the College or appoint a visitation panel, consisting of not less than five experts, to conduct the visitation:
a. for the purpose of evaluating the academic and administrative performance of the College;
b. for such other purpose or in respect of any other affairs of the Polytechnic as the Visitor may deem fit.
The Governing Board of FRIN
Subject to the provisions of the Federal Polytechnics Decree No. 33 of July 1979, and without prejudice to any specific ministerial policies and directives, the Governing board acts for the Federal Ministry for Environment in formulating broad policies and guidelines for the general control and management of the College. Also, the Governing board shall be the governing authority of the Polytechnic and shall have custody, control and disposition of all the property and finances of the College and except as may otherwise be provided in the Decree, shall manage and supervise generally, the affairs of the College in such manner as appears to it, best calculated to promote the interest, aims and functions of the College.
The Governing board consists of a Chairman, a Secretary, and thirteen other members [including the Rector of the College] drawn from commerce and industry, ministries, the community, inter alia, as provided by the Decree.
The Academic Board
There is an Academic Board whose functions and membership are as specified in the Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria Decree. The Board is responsible for:
1. The direction and management of academic matters of the College, including the regulation of the admission of students, the award of certificate and diplomas, scholarships, prizes and other academic distinctions;
2. Making to the Council of such periodic reports on such academic matters as the Academic Board may think fit or as the Council may from time to time direct; and
3. The discharge of any other functions which the Council may delegate to it.
The membership of the Board consists of the Provost of the College as Chairman, Deputy Provost, all heads of academic departments, the College Librarian, the College Registrar. The Registrar of the Institution is the Secretary to the Board.
Academic matters including examinations, curriculum development and staff matters including staff development and promotions are considered prior to determination at the Academic Board.
The College Internal Management Committee
The Principal Officers of the College as provided in the Federal Polytechnics (Amendment) Decree 1993 are the Provost, Deputy Provost, Registrar, Accountant , Heads of Academic Departments, Internal Auditor, Head of Works & Estate, College P.R.O, Students’ Affairs Officer and the College Librarian. The officers constitute themselves to the College Management Committee through which they manage matters of the Polytechnic other than academic.