The Nigeria Gazette No. 29 of 5th June, 1924 constituted a Forest Reserve established and known as Bauchi Reserve No. 2.
This Gazette was amended by Order 26 of 1931 and Order 42 of 1933. However, by the Northern Nigeria Region Legal Notice No. 187 of 1956, the Reserve was converted and became known as Gwong N.A. Naraguta Forest Reserve. This Law was further amended by N.N.L.N. no. 51 of 191 which then named the Reserve as Jos N.A. Naraguta Forest Reserve.
With the passage of time, the Northern Nigeria Forestry Services Department was established and later renamed Northern Nigeria School of Forestry, Jos. Subsequently, It metamorphosed into Federal College of Forestry, Jos, with the mandate for the training of vocational staff (Silvicutiral Asst. Forest Guard Games Guard) for the Forestry service of the Region.
After the creation of 12 states in 1972, the Interim Common Service Agency (ICSA) for the Northern states, passed the responsibility of running the College to the Federal Military Government.
The College was upgraded to Technical level in 1972 for the trainig of Forest Superintendents to cope with the requirements of the expanding Forestry Services of the Nation.
Additional hostels and other infrastructures were added to cope with the new role of the College.